Metodistkirken i Danmark
Address: Stokhusgade 2, DK-1317 København K, Denmark
Phone +45 33 12 96 06
Web site: www.metodistkirken.dk
Jørgen Thaarup, Stokhusgade 2, 3., DK-1317 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Phone: +45 24 23 10 98
Thomas Risager, Alexandragade 8, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Phone + 45 29 78 60 88
Present areas of focus
• Exploring call and equipping new leaders - both laity and future clergy
• Developing new faith communities and revitalization of congregations.
• Ministry with poor and marginalized people.
• Increased awareness on public health.
• Developing and maintaining a healthy spiritual life.
• God is calling a new generation of young people to ordained ministry
• Youth work at national level is thriving
• Diaconal work is developing
• New focus on online ministry
• New worship development - often driven by musicians and lay people
• Education of many new lay preachers
• Confessing members: 1210
• Baptized members: 898
• Pastors and deacons: 25
Christian Willerup was the first Methodist superintendent who was sent to Scandinavia in 1856, and in 1858 he moved to Copenhagen. The first congregation was established in 1859 and in 1865, the church was officially recognized as a church by the state, and shortly after, the first church, the Jerusalem church, was inaugurated.
It took some more years to receive the official status as an independent annual conference in 1911. Due to a heavy crisis during the 1920’ies the number of members dropped dramatically, but has remained relatively stable for the last decades.